Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bring on the Bakin...

I LOVE the holiday season for so many reasons! I get to pull out all of my recipes and start baking!! I am not too good at cooking, but baking....that's a-whole-nother story!!!

I decided to bake some Dishpan Cookies last night. I have been promising cookies to some people I work with and just have not been able to find the time to bake. My house has been a wreck, we are putting new wood floors down in the living room, and I wanted to get all of this done so we could decorate for Christmas this weekend. But since I am taking a week of vacation next week, I had to get the cookies to them soon!!

If you have never tried this recipe, you MUST!! My mother-in-law made these for us a few years ago and when she told me what ingredients were in them, I turned my nose up. But they did look good, so I tried one....then two....and probably three or four more!! This recipe is awesome! I was told it makes 10 dozen, but I never seem to get that many. Guess I make them too big! But, last night I was able to get 9 dozen!! So I had enough to give away and keep my kids and hubby happy for a little while!

Here's the recipe and I "borrowed" a picture Melanie took of her cookies. Thanks Mel for such a beautiful artistic representation of my favorite cookies!! Warning: You will need a LARGE bowl!! I have changed the recipe a little from what I was told because once you start combining everything, you will get a work-out! I always have to get Alan to mix it for me!
DISHPAN COOKIES
2 C Oil
2 C Packed Brown Sugar
2 C Sugar
4 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
4 C Flour
2 C Regular Chocolate Chips
1 1/2 C Oats
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
2 C Crushed Corn Flakes
1 C Flaked Coconut

In a medium bowl, cream oil, brown sugar, sugar, eggs and vanilla. In a large bowl, mix flour, chocolate chips, oats, baking soda, salt, corn flakes and coconut. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the large bowl and mix well.Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 11-12 minutes. Do not overbake!! Makes 10 dozen. ENJOY!!

No comments: