Thursday, October 30, 2008

From my Kitchen

My family absolutely loves this recipe, so I thought I would share it! Very inexpensive, but super yummy!

Sausage Egg Rolls

Ingredients:
1 Roll of Sausage
1 Bag of Cabbage Mix (w/carrots)
1 Package of Egg Roll Wrappers (usually found in produce near the tofu)
1/4 Cup of Soy Sauce
Chinese Five Spice (I think I use about a teaspoon, just eyeball it)
Oil for frying (About an inch in the bottom of my pan is enough)
Soy Sauce for dipping

1. Cook sausage thoroughly until no longer pink. Drain.
2. I use my chopper to ground the sausage smaller (Optional)
3. Add Sausage, Cabbage Mix, Chinese Five Spice and Soy Sauce to a saucepan. Cover and cook until cabbage has steamed completely.
4. Drain and let cool. Prep to begin rolling the wrappers.
5. I use about 2 Tablespoons of mix in each wrapper. The directions are on the back of the package, but here are some pictures. (Was a little difficult to take a picture with one had and hold with the other! LOL)
***I use a little water to seal the final corner. If not sealed, they will open up when fried. And soy sauce and heat don't mix well!!
5. While wrapping the egg rolls, heat oil on medium heat. Make sure the oil it HOT! It should only take a few minutes on each side to brown lightly. If the oil isn't hot enough and they have to cook longer, they will be greasy! Trust me, I've had this happen a few times.

6. Enjoy with a little soy sauce for dipping!!!

No comments: